Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Provoke unto Love

Yesterday was an interesting day. I was fighting off a bad attitude regarding an event that husband planned at our home. It meant extra work cleaning and preparing food for an unknown number of students from the university. In the end....it ended up great. There were only 2 that came (must be intimidating to go to dinner at the minister's house!). And although I prepared for a small crowd (maybe 8-10)....most of the food can be used for lunches this week (chili and cornbread). One of the 2 students was an exchange student from Burma. He spoke very good english and was very pleasant and interesting to talk to. I have prayed that this is a beginning of a relationship with this student and a connection for him to come to salvation.

This morning in my devotion time I read this verse from Hebrews 10. "Let us hold fast the profession of OUR faith without wavering (for he IS faithful that promised), and let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works (Hebrews 10:23-24). This was definitely a speeedbump in my reading. How am I provoking others unto love and good works? Certainly not by my bad attitude!!

So, today I am making sure I am examining my motives and listening to my words that are spoken to others (especially to the kids!!). And I am praying that I can be a person of provocation!!

Living forward with God.....Mary

No comments: