Thursday, November 13, 2008

obsessing

I have already been obsessing about the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. My family is coming and I want everything to be lovely. Since we have this "fixer-upper" house, I have been trying to at least finish some of the interior projects before guests come. Everything is pretty much picked-up and organized....so now it is matter of just staying the course with that (hopefully the family won't get bored with staying tidy!!)

My major part of the obsession is how to stream-line the "Feast" so that we are not running around on Thanksgiving morning trying to get it all done. To that end....I've begun planning a "do-it-ahead" menu. I have this cookbook called Make-A-Mix and there are some mix bases that I'm going to try (such as pie crusts and bread starters). I'm also thinking about things that can be made now and frozen (such as pumpkin bread and banana bread). Some of those are actually better done in this fashion. Also, I'm thinking Jigglers for the kids (instead of a jello side like my mom would have made) and maybe even making the gravy ahead of time and then the drippings can be added that day to give it that extra punch (husband is crazy for gravy!!)

Lastly, I am thinking of the table decoration and serving dishes. I've never cleaned silver so I have found a "silver dip" method to clean it all. I'm trying that this weekend. I'll probably lay out all the dishes the week of Thanksgiving and make sure it is all sparkling!

With all that being said....I need to first get my focus back on the Provider of all these good things. Perhaps I need to make some Thankfulness note cards to stash here and there to keep me on task and help my Center to be there in all these preparations. Certainly I am truly grateful to God!!! Lord, help it to show through in all that I do!

Living forward in Christ.....Mary

No comments: