Friday, November 14, 2008

Overwhelmed

How has it happened that I have overbooked myself and family? Yesterday was just a running from one thing to the other. As supper approached and I was supposed to go to a board meeting at the church I questioned husband when he needed to go to evening bible studies on campus. I wondered if he could go later or just skip (they are supposed to be student-led....so I don't think that he really needs to be there every week...my viewpoint). He said no (I think that he wants to support the students in their leadership) and so I called the pastor and backed out of my meeting. I really just felt like I had run around all day and was emotionally spent. I would have enjoyed an evening with just adults but then when we leave our oldest in charge....the younger ones just end up being hyped-up when we return. So most of the time that is not worth it.

So....I'm evaluating the many things that I have volunteered to do at the church and looking at what can be cut. It is a medium size church so I know that there will be others to do the work. I'm feeling that it is in the best interest of family that when I'm home that I'm present for them and not just "there" but thinking of the next thing.

This morning I heard a little bit on the radio from "Revive Our Hearts" ministry with Nancy Lee DeMoss. She is an advocate of biblical womanhood and it is always challenging to hear her show. This morning it was on serving without the need to be complimented or noticed for our service. We should delight in the opportunity to serve in love (with God's grace). That certainly provided an attitude check. I was certainly annoyed with husband but now I need to check my attitude and look at my priorities. I just can't live in a constantly overwhelmed state of life. So today it is an attitude check day and really "being" with those I love!

Living forward with Christ! Mary

No comments: