Thursday, February 18, 2010

More Baby-step cleaning!

The baby step cleaning is continuing!! I did my "junk drawer" in my dresser. Found an expanding wood organizer at WalMart in the kitchen drawer storage area. It felt really good to get it cleaned out, trash thrown out, and stuff that I "inherited" that I never wear/use sent off to Goodwill. Then I sorted the rest and put them in the cubbies. I have been catching myself just opening the drawer to admire the organization!

I have now moved on to my bill/paper box. THIS IS A LARGE TASK!!! I had been pretty lazy all year (and last year too) and threw everything into a box to sort "someday". Well, it is tax season and I needed to find some receipts for my accountant guy. That meant that I needed to sort through the box of doom! I spread it out on the floor and made pile of the various catagories. Gathered up all the old credit card offers and checks from the credit card companies so I can shread those. Then I put the other piles in individual file folders and put them back in the box. I will need to go through those more thoroughly later but for now it is MUCH better! From this point forward I will have a CURRENT year file folder (one of those expanding ones with dividers). It will be on the table at bill paying time. I also have a 5X8 size 3-ring binder with pocket files for each month that I sort my bills into (done that for years and works very well for me). That binder also houses my labels, stamps and few envelopes. The idea is just to set both items out when I pay bills and just sort everything RIGHT AWAY!

Probably need to work on the kid's paper/keeper storage next. I have a crate FULL of stuff as well as some plastic drawer things and some shoe boxes for each of them!! Need to get everything into ONE storage container and then have a CURRENT year storage box. Someday they will enjoy looking back at those items. I know that I enjoyed the few items that mom stored for me! I certainly don't keep everything but I do keep a few of the interesting and unique items for each of them.

No comments: