Thursday, November 3, 2011

Life in the "driver's seat"

      This last week I've heard a couple of analogies about life and driving.  This got me thinking through how I'm "driving" lately.  Am I paying attention to the road signs along the way (health, weight, family pressures...etc)?  Am I staying in my lane?  I could go on about this way of thinking but you can get the picture.  The sermon at church last Sunday was about "round-abouts" and other types of road designs. 

      I was especially intrigued by that thought...being on the round-about.  As you know, when you enter the round-about you can only exit by taking a right turn AND to enter you have to merge into the flow of traffic.  We have one of these near our elementary school and it makes it very efficient to approach the school without the headache of the a traffic signal.  Anyway, when thinking about this in regards to life I am challenged by the thought of being in the "holding pattern" of the round-about and then about exiting to the next road.  I know that there is a new road ahead in my life but I don't know what that will be yet nor do I have any inkling as to when it will be. So, in essence, I'm waiting!

   The other analogy that was presented was in regards to looking back while plowing a field (but could be applied to driving).  When we look back in life we tend to make crooked pathways.  It is a natural occurance!  This is especially true when you have a trailer hitched onto your vehicle and you are trying to back into a parking spot....It is very CHALLENGING!  If I'm trying to look back and relive (or regret) a certain era of life....what about my kids and others that are "in tow" right now?  I truly need to be concentrating on THE NOW and driving FORWARD !  If not...then I will be leaving a crooked path for my kids to follow instead of the straight and narrow road of Christianity and responsible adulthood.

    I hope all this makes sense!  AND I hope that you like the new layout of the blog.  I'm hoping to expand what I do here....we will see!

No comments: