Tuesday, November 15, 2011

education

I have been dwelling on the thought of schooling and education with the kids.  Our 3rd child has special needs and has always gone to a public school for education.  When we transferred the kids to our local district (which is quite a bit bigger that the last school) we have noticed that her grades & development have been slowly declining.  It is really showing now that she is in a "life skills" class.  There really is not the same push for education there but more about learning skills for living.   

I'm struggling with that at this time.  She is just in 7th grade now and I'm thinking that there should be more of a push for academics yet.  SO, after meeting with her neurologist last week and the doctor making a comment about me teaching her, I've been doing some thinking.  Perhaps I could make time in the afternoons (after lunch) for her to come with me for some private "tutoring" time.  Give her more of a nudge...try to get her closer to her peer group.  I have scheduled to meet with her teacher and a representative from the AEA to discuss this option (a dual-enrollment of sorts).  I have to get permission from the AEA because she has what is called an "IEP" (Individual Education Plan).  Our meeting is scheduled for Thursday after lunch. 

If there isn't the option for this than I'm planning on doing some extra work with her in the afternoons.  Not sure what but hopeful that whatever we do will boost her level of learning to the point that the teachers take notice!  It would be amazing for her to jump up in her learning level!  I'm thinking about open-enrollment next year or officially working on dual-enrollment with her.
 Please pray for us!

No comments: