Monday, May 4, 2009

Where are the Youth?!

Where are the young people? Went on a trip yesterday with my son to Eastern Illinois (almost to Indiana). It was about a 6 hour drive one way. We decided to just do the whole thing in a day (Yeah....I'm still crazy after all these years!!!). It was a good bonding thing to do with my teenager and he got to practice his driving skills (which also increases the amount of white hair on my head!!). Anyway, we were to drop off some computers to a staff member at the national level of our denomination. Those will be going to a missions work in Belize. We attended church there (a small town of about 1000). There was about 50 in attendance. I think that I saw one other teenage person and about a handful of elementary kids there. We have also had the opportunity to visit some churches over the last couple of years (now that husband is not pastoring) and I find it very alarming the lack of youth in many of those churches.

What is happening?! I had heard a sermon the previous week (again at a church with only 2 other children in attendance!) and the preacher was speaking on passing down the blessings from the older generations to the younger generations. Afterwards they had a potluck meal and I noticed that no one was sitting with the youth (and the couple of college age kids) and interacting with them! The older people all just like to congregate to their comfort zone. That has really been on my heart. I'm just not seeing the older generation stepping up to the plate and getting involved in the younger generation. At our church, it is pretty much the parents who do the work with the children and youth. Most of the next generation (50 and older) just like to be together and not involved in a large way with the passing down of the faith to the youth. Some will kind of help with special events but even then....it is not much.

I really feel stuck in between. I really need those in the next generation up to get involved with my kids. And I'm just not quite available enough to start sowing into the next generation! This is tough. How does a person start a "rally cry" to the body? I need to pray and TRUST God!

No comments: