Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Phase 1 of kitchen

Today is the day of the kitchen work - phase 1! We are changing the countertop, moving cabinets, fixing the outlets, and adding a dishwasher. It is so very exciting!!!! We found a contractor who we trust (he was the group leader for Awana's for Joanna's age) so I'm very optimistic that it will be done well. By Friday (if all goes well) we will be done! YEAH!!
We had decided to work on the kitchen (which really could use a total makeover) one wall/section at a time. I'm going to try my hand at tiling the backsplash and if that goes well then I'm going to try to tile a small countertop area next to our stove. Phase 2 will hopefully be the pantry wall shelving and a rack to hang our cast iron pans from (and a shelf above for cookbooks). And then Phase 3 will be removing the wall between the kitchen and dining area. That will be a big one because we will be moving the chimney run, adding supports to the ceiling and fixing the ceiling in both rooms (they have those 12" ceiling tiles). We will make a pennisula/eating bar there. Husband kind of likes the idea of doing that but doesn't want to tackle the work. We may have to hire out some of that project.

I took a picture of the before of the area. So hopefully I can figure out how to load pictures and send a before and after.

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Have fun with that! Can't wait to see pics.

Mary said...

thanks Vickie. I'm glad we went with hiring out this process. The guys are doing an amazing job (and Husband and I are NOT stressed out!!!)