Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Garden Gifts

I have found our little raised garden beds to be quite a delight! It is like finding presents everyday when I visit it....and the raised beds have hardly any weeds to contend with....so much the better! Lately we have been harvesting green beans, okra, yellow squash, some yellow pear tomatoes and roma tomatoes. There is also basil which has been amazing! I really love it's scent and the beautiful flavor in our food. We are seeing some great looking tomatoes on our beefsteak variety...they are all still green but will be amazing when they get ripe. Can't wait to eat them! Then there is the banana peppers which are just now starting to come on...looking forward to pickling them to enjoy this winter. The cucumbers are putting on plenty and I'm considering making some bread and butter pickles or some dill pickles with them. Or maybe some relish instead.

We planted some strawberries at the beginning of the season and I had thought that nothing had happened with them. However, the other day I was weeding the planter box that they were in and found 1 plant did finally come in. YEAH!!! I know that it will begin spreading and that we will have strawberries in our garden next year. There is nothing like the taste of fresh picked...vine ripened strawberries (while they are warm from the sun). MMMM...just like heaven.

Next year we will make sure to cage our tomato plants better....they are just laying all over the place! I will probably separate them into their own area rather than mixing them with other plants.

No comments: